Emergency Oxygen for Scuba Diving Injuries
Scuba diving injuries are rare and are often subtle when they occur. In the unlikely event of an injury, being able to recognize the problem and initiate appropriate action can speed the diver’s recovery and minimize lasting effects. Oxygen first aid is one of the initial responses for diving injuries.
The Emergency Oxygen for Scuba Diving Injuries course is an entry-level training program that teaches participants common presentations of dive injuries and how to provide emergency oxygen first aid.
During this course, participants will become familiar with the signs and symptoms associated with decompression illness and nonfatal drowning and the proper administration of supplemental oxygen. Proper assembly, disassembly and use of all component parts found in the DAN Oxygen Unit are included in the skills section of this course.
Successful completion of the Emergency Oxygen for Scuba Diving Injuries course includes demonstrating skill competency and passing a final knowledge assessment. Upon completion, you will receive a provider card indicating that you have been trained in administration of oxygen for scuba diving and drowning injuries.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone, especially those looking to take Rescue or Professional-level dive training, that has not learned to work with and administer emergency oxygen.
Additional Courses you may be interested in:
- Basic Life Support: CPR and First Aid - If you have not already learned Basic Life Support and CPR, you should learn it before expanding into administering emergency Oxygen.
- First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life Injuries - This course builds on the First Aid skills learned in the Basic Life Support course and focuses on treating many of the kinds of hazardous marine life that we can encounter when diving.
- Neurological Assessment - This course helps you learn how to recognize key signs and evaluate an individual with a suspected neurological injury.
Alternate Courses you may be interested in:
- Diving Emergency Management Provider (DEMP) - This course incorporates all of the Basic Life Support course and also covers Emergency Oxygen, First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life Injuries and performing Neurological Assessments. Its a great package course with a TON of information.
- Diving First Aid for Professional Divers (DFA-Pro) - This course is focused on individuals that need to be familiar with Diving First Aid as part of their job and/or may be subject to OSHA oversight. The course covers all of the same things as the DEMP program listed above but focuses on the professional setting.